Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Work on strong points rather than weak points?

I am reading a book that suggests rather than attempting to improve on your weak areas, you should try to improve your strong areas and learn to manage or compensate for your weak areas. The concept is that you gain more by working on your strong points and making yourself stronger than you do on trying to improve your weak areas.

The book further extends this to organizations, suggesting that many organizations emphasize improving weak areas of personnel rather than utilizing and improving the strengths of personnel and placing personnel in positions where they strengths are best utilized rather than expecting them to improve their weak areas to fit the job tasks.

While I am still thinking about this, it seems to make sense. I am aware of my weak points, at least think I am aware of my strong points, and probably I spend more time on trying to improve my weak points, while I should be looking for a way to compensate for my weak areas (such as finding someone who has a strength in my weak areas) and improve on my strong areas where the “return for effort” may be much greater!

In thinking about this, I think it can be extended to the Lakeland community. We have many fine organizations that provide specific community services based on their strong points.

I thought about this while reading the recent Qnet and noting that the community civic groups, such Lakeland Civic Club and Lakeland Lions Club have activities scheduled that both involve and benefit the community in areas where the City of Lakeland, individuals or even businesses would not be able to provide. Neighborhood Associations also provide strength to a community by services they can provide to both the residents and the community.

On another post, I am mentioning some vacancies in Boards and Commissions appointed by the Board of Commissioners. These Boards and Commissions review, discuss and provide recommendations to the Board of Commissioners on vital issues that affect the future of our community. Some residents are very qualified to serve on the Boards and Commissions and I hope you will apply. Other residents may find their strong points are in other areas, and that is fine also because all of the organizations in Lakeland contribute to a stronger and more vital Lakeland.

The appointments which may be made in October will be for only several months, but the Board of Commissioners will be making more appointments, for periods of from one to three years, in December.

I’d appreciate your thoughts on focusing on improving strengths rather than focusing on your weak areas, while, of course, managing your weak areas by various methods both for individuals, organizations and the community.

No comments: