Saturday, August 27, 2005

ZIP Code (again!)

I recently received my Time Warner Cable bill and was surprised to see I lived in "Arlington" again. Also, I recently was advised that the City Hall phones read as "Arlington" for people who have caller id.

I suggest you check your Time Warner Cable, MLGW and BellSouth (or other phone providers). I think you will be surprised to find that they don't bother to take the time and consideration to address "Lakeland" residents to "Lakeland" rather than mindlessly sending it to "Arlington".

It makes me wonder if they take the same care when they send in their taxes (that LAKELAND residents pay).

The City is currently conducting a study to verify that businesses in Lakeland pay their taxes to Lakeland and not Arlington, Memphis or Bartlett.

I urge all Lakeland residents to assist by checking your cable, phone, MLGW etc. bills and notify them that you live in "Lakeland", not "Arlington". It may assist in insuring your taxes that YOU pay are going to the correct city. If nothing else, it will make you feel better when you see your next bill addressed to "Lakeland".

While the companies have all been very cooperative about changing the address to Lakeland, I have to wonder, why do I need to notify them? Why don't they have the correct address in the first place?

Take a minute, and check your bills. I think you'll be surprised to find where they think you live!

No comments: