Tuesday, November 01, 2005

My "extra" hour

I like take the time to reflect on the day when Daylight Savings Time “ends” and I get an “extra” hour. I especially enjoy the “fall back” extra hour, and several years ago, I decided to use the extra hour to reflect on the year, and what I want for the year ahead. (I decided to do this when I was starting to feel like I used the extra hour in deciding what to do with the extra hour!)

Uncle Wayne’s passing was still on my mind, and I thought about our recent visit to north-central Kansas for my Uncle Wayne’s funeral services. On the way up, we listened to Tim Russert’s book concerning his memories of his father. His father, like my Uncle Wayne, was a member of the “Greatest Generation”, having been in World War II and being a part of that generation. It was a very appropriate book for the drive and help me reflect on Uncle Wayne and the influence of him and his generation on our culture and society and especially the importance of every resident and how one resident can have such an impact, especially in a smaller community.

(While up in Concordia, Kansas, we went out into the early morning for a walk with a 51 degree temperature, and suddenly I remembered one reason I like Tennessee! 51 degrees in Lakeland, Tennessee is much better than 51 degrees (with the wind) in Concordia, Kansas!)

I think my experience in Lakeland and my reflections on the impact of the “Greatest Generation” emphasize the importance of citizen input in local government. So many times, we have been able to improve because a resident cared enough to contact us and advise us of a problem, concern or suggestion.

YOU may have the thought, suggestion or comment that will dramatically improve Lakeland. Let us know!

No comments: